The neurological issues are quite complicated. It’s better to get them diagnosed at the right time to avoid complications. Peripheral Neuropathy is one such disorder, which is often misdiagnosed. The doctors fail to diagnose Peripheral Neuropathy due to the symptoms. The symptoms of this disorder are common with other neurological disorders. So, it’s quite common to see people have degraded Peripheral Neuropathy.
There are three types of nerves in the peripheral nervous system of any human being. The Sensory nerves, motor nerves, and autonomic nerves. The Sensory nerves carry the sensory signals. The Motor nerves carry the signals from motor neurons, and the autonomic nerves control the autonomous functions like digestion, bowels, heart rate, and others. Well, any issues with these nerves are known as peripheral neuropathy disorder. It’s essential to get this issue diagnosed for immediate treatment and avoiding further complications. In this post, we are going to share the detailed information about the peripheral neuropathy disorder.
What are the Symptoms?
Peripheral neuropathy disorder affects multiple nerves. Here are the symptoms of the disorder for each type of nerve.
#1 – Sensory Nerves
If you suffer from Peripheral neuropathy disorder for the sensory nerves, then you’ll notice the following symptoms.
- Tingling sensation in hands and legs.
- Sudden numbness in hands and legs.
- Change in Temperature, Pressure, or Touch sensitivity. The patient cannot identify the sensory activities like temperature check, pressure, and touch.
- Burning sensation in the Body,
- Loss of coordination of hands and the legs.
- Loss of Reflexes.
#2 – Motor Nerves
For the Motor nerves, the symptoms of peripheral Neuropathy are as follows.
- Difficulties in walking or moving the legs and hands.
- Sudden Muscle weakness or major cramps in the legs.
- Loss of control over muscles while performing movements and walking.
- Loss of balance while walking or standing still.
#3 – Autonomic Nerves
If you are suffering from Autonomic Neuropathy, then you might observe the following symptoms.
- Abnormal Heart rate and blood pressure.
- Indigestion problems, No Bowel movements, and bladder issues.
- Unintentional sudden weight loss.
- Nausea and Vomiting without any triggers or health conditions.
- Decreased Sweating even in the hot climate conditions.
Causes of Peripheral Neuropathy
Peripheral Neuropathy is a neurodegenerative disorder. This means it causes damage to the nervous system over time. But, there are multiple causes of Peripheral Neuropathy. Type II diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, alcoholism, traumatic injuries, sepsis, infections, and many other issues. The doctors have to check all of the possibilities before making the diagnosis of Peripheral Neuropathy.
Treatment Options for Peripheral Neuropathy
Peripheral Neuropathy of all types is a neurodegenerative disorder. It is treatable, but not curable. As it’s a degenerative disorder, the patients have to take care of the diet and the instructions provided by the neurologists. On the medication side, the neurologists prescribe the Anti-depressants, anti-seizure, pain killers, topical treatments, and many other medications. It’s not a curable disorder, but with the medication, it can be controlled to the maximum extent.
Peripheral Neuropathy Treatment in Tampa Bay Neurology and Sleep Medicine Center
Getting the disorder diagnosed and treated immediately is essential to living a healthy life. Without immediate treatment, the condition may worsen, and the patient has to live life with pain and dismay. If you are suffering from peripheral Neuropathy, then you should immediately visit the Neurology and Sleep Medicine center in Tampa Bay to get proper treatment for controlling the ill-effects of this disorder.